Thursday, March 3, 2016

Fur kids are family too

I don't know how to write this without telling a backstory.  But, that story is lengthy.  And, not one that I am capable of typing now.  So, here is a terribly condensed version.

I picked up a red merle Australian Shepherd puff ball in August 2003.  I was living in California, and my step-mother had just passed away from brain cancer.  I was in a very sad place, for a variety of reasons, and this guy brought so much love and joy into my life.  I named him Jesse James (because Jon Bon Jovi has a son named this too.)

I moved back to Texas and Jesse moved with me.  Jesse was my baby.  I've never shared a relationship with an animal like mine with Jesse James.  I had a significant other at the time.  He was an important part of Jesse's life as well. 

When I moved to Australia, leaving Jesse behind was one of the most difficult, heartbreaking decisions.  I felt like a parent abandoning her child.  The boyfriend (who was now an ex, and he was pretty heartbroken himself) had so much love for Jesse that he stepped up and took responsibility for him.  I know this person gave Jesse love, companionship, and a home that he deserved.  I am eternally grateful to him for that.  Words can't express my gratitude.

Jesse James passed away on the morning of Wednesday, the 2nd of March, 2016.  I'm shattered.  I've known for about 90 minutes.  I've been mourning his loss from my life since late 2008, but I knew he was living a happy, well-cared-for life, and that brought me comfort.  Now, I'm just mourning his loss. 
Jesse James, May 2003 - March 2016



I had just pulled up this photo for a different blog post - one of those Q&A ones - it asked about all the pets I've had - I answered including this picture and the special bond I had with this guy.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, Erin, I'm so sorry! I completely agree that a pet is part of the family, and losing someone you love is incredibly difficult whether it's a human or an animal. I still cry sometimes when I talk about the dog I had for 15 years growing up. I loved her and she was a huge part of my childhood and teen years.

    I'll keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Fur kids ARE family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, losing fur friends is super hard. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this brings so much sad to my heart! pets bring such an unreal amount of love and words cannot describe when they leave us. ugh. sending lots of love

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so heart-breaking. You are a wonderful momma for finding Jesse such an incredible, love-filled home in your absence. I know he was the happiest little dog all because you cared and loved him. I'm so sorry for your loss, Erin. Dogs are the best kind of creatures and I know your friendship and love was everything to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh - every time I hear of a loss of a furbaby, I instantly tear up. It know how painful it is. It's heart wrenching. & to know you had an Aussie - that's totally my breed. The BEST DOGS EVER!!! ... I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am so sad for you. & I know that a piece of your heart is now missing more then ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry to hear about Jesse's passing. Sounds like he led a long, happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. :( I'm always at a loss of what to say when this happens, because it's so hard and all the condolences in the world don't fix it. I still get teary-eyed thinking about the Beagle we had for most of my childhood who passed away a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about this. Furbabies are definitely family members and it's never easy to say goodbye. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so, so sorry for your loss <3 may he have an easy trip over and be waiting for you at the end of the Rainbow Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Erin. I am so, so sorry. I am hugging you through my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. Just know that he had full, long, wonderful life and he has you to thank for that, for picking him in the first place, and then for making sure he had someone to take care of him and give him love and a good home when you had to leave. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could give you a big giant in person hug. I'm so, so sorry. It sounds like he was happy and loved and that's amazingly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry, Erin. But I am with you 100%, pets are apart of the family & it hurts just as bad when they pass. I'm giving you a big ol' hug, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so incredibly sorry Erin! Fur babies really are a such a big part of the family, and you end up sharing a bond with them that nothing can replace! That's so great that he did get to spend the rest of his life with somebody that really loved him though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dog...and definitely part of your family! And how awesome is it that your ex cared for him enough to take care of him.
    Plus, Jesse James lived a long and happy life, I'm sure. So sorry for your loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear about your (yes he was still yours) puppy. I'm pretty sure I'd be inconsolable if something happened to either of my fur kids. At least with my last dog who died, I was prepared (cancer). Didn't make it any better when I realized it was time though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the pictures you included of Jesse James. He was a handsome fella, wasn't he? I'm so, so sorry he's gone :-( Sending you the biggest hugs you've ever imagined. Love you doll xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sad :( I'm so sorry, Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so so very sorry for your loss! Sending you lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!